Venison Cocoa Pasta
Venison Cocoa Pasta With Brown Butter Pinot Noir Sauce And Mushrooms
by Chef Bri Van Scotter
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Venison Cocoa Pasta
2 cups All-Purpose Flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferable Valrhona
3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
Water as needed
- 1-pound ground venison
- 1/4-pound mushrooms of choice, shopped
- 1 medium shallot, mined
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 8 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 cup Pinot Noir
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the kneading attachment, place the flour, cocoa powder, eggs, salt, and olive oil in the bowl. Knead the mixture on medium until everything comes together. You may need to add about 1 teaspoon of water at a time to achieve the right consistency. The dough should be slightly tacky but able to hold a dent when you press your finger into it. Knead the dough for 5 minutes after it pulls away from the bowl.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- After the dough has been set, you can run it through a pasta maker or mixer attachment to cut noodles. If doing it by hand, break the dough into 3 separate balls, roll each one out to about 1/8 of an inch thick , and use a knife to cut the noodles by hand.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- In a large sauté pan set over medium high heat, add the ground venison and mushrooms. Once the venison is almost cooked through, add the shallot, garlic then finish cooking the venison. Set the sauté pan aside.
- In stainless steel sauté pan add the butter, cook until the butter is golden brown, about 5-6 minutes. Once the butter is brown add the wine and rosemary, cook over medium-high heat until the wine is reduced by half. Then add the ground venison and mushroom mixture to the pan.
- Place the noodles into the boiling water and cook for about 3 minutes or until the noodles are floating on top. Then use thongs to remove the noodles from the water and add them to the ground venison butter mixture, toss everything together to combine.