How To Make: Lip Balm
Something a little bit different… Made with Deer tallow or Bear lard!
HOW TO MAKE
- 1/2 cup deer tallow or bear lard
- 1/2 cup beeswax pellets (you could get away with using 1/4 cup beeswax pellets with deer tallow, it may just melt easier in warm weather, or in a warm pocket
- Bear lard is quite soft already so I would use a 1:1 ratio of wax to bear lard
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp essential oil, peppermint is what I used
For a small batch, making a few tubes, use:
- 1 tbsp tallow/bear lard
- 1 tbsp beeswax pellets (you could use 2tsp deer tallow for a softer product)
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1-2 drops of essential oil
Melt in a double boiler, or just a heavy pot on the stove.
Let it cool for a few minutes and pour into your tubes, using a tray.
The kits are easy to find online, and affordable, just look up ‘lip balm kit’.
Some people use shea butter, I had coconut oil on hand, so that’s what I used in addition to the deer tallow.
Make sure your ingredients are cosmetic grade, or food safe.
I used organic ingredients.