Bear Barley Soup, the perfect recipe for a cold day
Mandy Starnes shared this amazing recipe with us. It’s sure to be a hit on a cold day. The bear can be substituted for beef too!
- Approx 1lb ground bear meat (or beef)
- 2 & 1/2 cups beef broth or, even better, game bone broth
- 1 & 1/2 cups water
- 1 quart of canned tomatoes (use home-canned if you can)
- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 cups chopped green cabbage
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 3 tsp dried or fresh parsley
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 & 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp anise seed, or 2 whole star anise pods
- 1/2 cup of ketchup
First, brown the bear meat in a large pot with a bit of cooking oil. Cook the meat well, do not leave any pink pieces.
Add the onion, garlic, broth, water, pearl barley, and tomatoes to the pot, as well as the spices, and ketchup. Let this simmer for about 30 mins to let the barley cook.
Add the carrots, celery and cabbage, cook until vegetables are tender, then enjoy!